News
Veteran
Support
Invite Your
Friends to Join
Added on Fri 31st Dec 2021 4:08pm   Last edited on Tue 19th Apr 2022 10:01pm

Erica Vale

Just another number

My dad passed away from covid complications back in November 2020. We didn't get to say goodbye or visit him at all while he was in the hospital. We didn't get to have a real funeral for him. Basically, we all feel like we let him down. Sorry, guys. I guess I'm just looking for a place to vent.

Added on Mon 3rd Jan 2022 3:33am   Last edited on Mon 3rd Jan 2022 3:33am

Hyatt McKay

Don't be sorry. What the news fails to tell us is how cold and impersonal death by Covid makes things. Under normal circumstances, death is hard enough. This just makes it worse.

You didn't let him down. The system did. 

Added on Tue 4th Jan 2022 4:27pm   Last edited on Tue 4th Jan 2022 4:27pm

Erica Vale

Thanks for saying that, Hyatt, and for listening to me.  It's such a tough situation to be in.  I know he's gone, but in a way, I'm afraid that my mom and dad might be disappointed in us kids because it happened this way.  Mom didn't die alone; it's a crushing that Dad did.  I feel some better now that I've gotten that out there.  Most people fuss at me for being selfish when I bring it up.  Like I said, I know we're in a pandemic, but I feel like my dad is just another number.  

Added on Fri 7th Jan 2022 9:22am   Last edited on Fri 7th Jan 2022 9:22am

Kareem Johnson

The same thing happened in my family.  We've been talking about getting everyone together when it's safe and having a celebration of life to commemorate our loved one's passing.  Maybe you could do something like that, Erica.  

Added on Tue 19th Apr 2022 9:37pm   Last edited on Tue 19th Apr 2022 9:37pm

Rhonda White

Erica and Kareem, I'm so sorry that you were unable to celebrate your loved one and mourn for them with all the usual support that you'd have pre-pandemic.  

Added on Tue 19th Apr 2022 9:45pm   Last edited on Tue 19th Apr 2022 9:45pm

Sarina Garrett

I'm sorry for your loss.

Covid did this to too many people. At least we now know how to better handle things. At first, no one really knew what they were doing and then started listening to politicians instead of medical professionals. That made things even worse. 

Added on Tue 19th Apr 2022 10:01pm   Last edited on Tue 19th Apr 2022 10:01pm

Bev Everleigh

I think the administrators are the ones most likely to think of a recently deceased patient as a number. Most nurses and caregivers I've run across add a personal touch to the work they do. I understand about putting a blanket over the blame, but they're not all bad. 

I'm so sorry you had to go through that.