News
Veteran
Support
Invite Your
Friends to Join
Added on Sun 28th Nov 2021 4:36pm   Last edited on Fri 10th Dec 2021 10:29am

Rhonda White

Low-budget Christmas ideas?

How are you guys keeping the price of Christmas down this year?  Even though I have good medical insurance, having a disease is expensive, and my pocketbook has taken a beating.  The pandemic and supply chain woes mean prices have gone up.  I could use some tips.  And by tips, I don't mean the trite stuff you commonly see in magazines.  I already know to reuse gift bags from year to year.  How do you spread Christmas cheer on a thrifty budget?

Added on Thu 2nd Dec 2021 8:36pm   Last edited on Thu 2nd Dec 2021 8:36pm

Eddie Byrd

I haven't tried it, because it's not something that my wife would ever go for, but I like the idea of playing Dirty Santa.  It's a game where you draw numbers to steal each other's gifts.  It sounds like a lot of fun and each person is only responsible for buying one gift a piece.  

Added on Mon 6th Dec 2021 1:58am   Last edited on Mon 6th Dec 2021 1:58am

Mary Pedigo

Lowering down on decorations can help, especially if you already have those that you've used before. Then, buy enough food because we all know too much only becomes leftovers. If you don't have too many guests, it could be better to eat outside.

Added on Wed 8th Dec 2021 7:54pm   Last edited on Wed 8th Dec 2021 7:54pm

Sami Sia

I try to shop local and use coupons! Can you make gifts? We did gift baskets this year, themed baskets. It sure saved a lot of money. Honestly though, Christmas isn't about the gifts.
Added on Thu 9th Dec 2021 5:05pm   Last edited on Thu 9th Dec 2021 5:05pm

Rhonda White

There's lots of good advice here, and I've received some messages on the patient board with supportive tips as well.  It means a lot to me!  My husband and I used to go all out for our kids when they were little, and now we'd like to be able to do that for our grandkids too.  We're just in a different place financially then we used to be.  I plan to make the most of our time together.  I guess that's what matters most - just being together.   

Added on Fri 10th Dec 2021 10:29am   Last edited on Fri 10th Dec 2021 10:29am

Declan Middleton

It would be nice to have an open forum game that lets us know more about our family. It won't be the best, and it might even get awkward. However, it can help clarify things regarding silent tensions between people. It's not for the weak of heart for sure!