News
Veteran
Support
Invite Your
Friends to Join
Added on Fri 4th Oct 2019 2:31am   Last edited on Fri 22nd Nov 2019 12:06pm

Bob Stanford

Loss of Independence

My right leg has stopped working. My doctor has decided it is no longer safe for me to drive. This is such a hard thing to deal with. I have never had to rely on anyone to get around before, and now I have to rely on someone to get anywere outside my home. Has anyone here dealt with the loss of independence? How do you cope? 

Added on Sat 12th Oct 2019 2:53pm   Last edited on Sat 12th Oct 2019 2:53pm

Shelly Bernier

I had to do that many, many years ago after a surgery. I couldn't drive for a little over a month and it's something that you just have to get used to. I was upset at first, of course, but after awhile you realize that getting upset about it isn't going to change anything. You settle into the change. 

Added on Sun 13th Oct 2019 2:05pm   Last edited on Sun 13th Oct 2019 2:05pm

Sammy Delaney

I haven't been in your situation, Bob, but my father was.  He would get pretty frustrated at the state of things. One tool that gave Dad some independence was getting an electric wheelchair.  When we'd go to the store, he'd insist on doing his own thing and off he'd go.  It made a big difference to him to reclaim that part of his own agency.  I'm sensitive to the fact that ALS is an increasingly debilitating disease, but maybe an electric wheelchair could help you feel more independent for a bit longer.  

Added on Fri 22nd Nov 2019 12:06pm   Last edited on Fri 22nd Nov 2019 12:06pm

Paul Jacobs

I can relate to that feeling, Bob. It's such a tough situation to be in.  A big part of me hopes that the good LORD calls me before I'm actually bed bound and fully dependent on others for care.  Another part of me says I need to quit being so dramatic. There's really nothing you can do except try to accept it.